Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sheff is a Met

The Mets signed Gary Sheffield yesterday. Sheff was released by the Tigers earlier in the week. I personally hate Sheff more than any player with the exception of Roger Clemens. However this may not be that bad of a move. He was signed for the league minimum which means it won't be a problem to cut him. He is a right handed power bat off the bench which is exactly what the Mets needed. As long as Sheff's personality doens't cause too much turmoil in the clubhouse then I think this move could turn out to be a pretty decent one. The signing will probably end Marlon Anderson's time with the Mets which I have mixed feelings about. He was terrible last year but he was also battling injuries the whole year. I had high hopes for him because I do really like him but he was a bad fielder and a left handed bat without a lot of power. He was however a great clubhouse figure and a good leader. Hopefully Sheff's onfield prescence can overcome Anderson's off field prescence. Also, Sheff going for his 500th HR may bring some more fans into the stands from the Wilpons' point of view.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go back in your archives and you will see all of my suggestions to sign him. Omar and I think alike.

Anonymous said...

once sheff gets in shape he's gonna start.

-Dennis DeVivo

The Red King said...

I don't think he'll start more than Church or Murphy (barring injury). If he can get in shape and start hitting lefties, I'm fine with him getting a start every now and then against lefties. It also depends on if Church can play to his potential or if he'll be the post-concussion player he was last year. Church is a great right fielder so they should also consider that when making the decision