Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mets Prospects

Here is a list of the Mets' top 30 prospects according to Mets Prospect Hub. I want to say a few things about the Mets' farm system and its prospects. It is both overrated and underrated. The Mets farm system carries around a reputation as one of the worst in baseball and does not have much talen. This is flat out not true. The Mets may not have one of the better minor league systems but it is not as bas as many make it out to be. The Mets do not have a lot of major league ready talent which is why they have this reputaiton. However the Mets have a lot of good young talent (Flores, F-Mart, Marte, Mejia, etc.). Mets prospects are overrated beause of the pure fact that they play in NY. The Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers all have their prospects overrated because of where they play and the large fan base that surrounds it. For example: Dan Murphy is not a god. He has a solid to above average bat but he is not amazing. He does not have a whole bunch of power. While he is a good player, he is not a super star.

Also my philosophy on trading prospects is that if you are getting a proven and relatively young star, trade prospects. I would give up F-Mart and others for a Jake Peavy. I would also give up prospects for Carlos Lee (although maybe not F-Mart). I just think that if you are getting a proven star, then it is acceptable to trade away people who only have potential. I am not an advocate of trading away higher prospects for unproven non-stars (aka Zambrano/Kazmir).

I also want to say who a couple of my personal favorite prospects are because it is my blog and I can do that: Mike Carp, Jenrry Mejia (very excited about him), Francisco Pena, Ruben Tejada, Reese Havens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u beat me to it

The Red King said...

oh shit i forget i like him alot too. he is going to be good especailly because i think he can have better secondary than pelfrey and he has almost as good of a fast ball.