Monday, October 13, 2008

Luis Castillo

I was thinking about writing an article about this even before I came across this article on another blog . Mets fans are calling for Omar to get rid of Luis Castillo at any cost. I think that Luis Castillo, when healthy, can be a very productive (while not great) hitter. He gets on base at a good clip (.370 OBP), can hit around .300 and can steal 20+ bases (He stole 17 out of 19 bases this year despite his injuries). He is not nearly as good defensively as he was in his Gold Glove but is still solid. Omar did sign him for too long of a contract. 4 years for an aging player with knee problems is too much. Castillo is a "gritty" and "hard-nosed" player that soo many Mets fans call for. He played through injuries and is currently planning to play winter ball to get back on track. This is a good sign. It shows that Castillo is not going to just assume he has the starting role because of his past and his contract. He wants to earn the starting job. Mets fans should be happy to hear this. I feel it would be ill-advised to cut or trade Castillo now because his value is at its lowest ever. Give him a chance to prove himself. Why go out and overpay for Orlando Hudson (who also has had injury problems btw) when we have a solid player already. We can use that money towards areas that really matter (RP, LF, SP).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we just bench reyes already?

Anonymous said...

Dennis DeVivo

Rory, I think you're being too nice. You went easy on the bullpen and now you're going easy on castillo. I'm sure all the Met fans appreciate your optimism but castillo is just not what he was. I agree with not signing hudson, mostly because the Mets have young players in their farm system who can fill the role.

The Red King said...

Devivo I probably agree that I am being a bit too optimistic with both Castillo and the bullpen but not to a ridiculous point. I am probably going to rewrite my bullpen thing because I have been thinking more and more about it and some thoughts have changed. I just don't see the reason why we should sell low on players who can perform at a higher lever. I think we should allow them to perform and then sell when they gain some credibility back (especially Hielman). If they cannot gain value then by all means get rid of them because their value cannot get much lower. The Mets really don't have many players in the farms who can play 2b better than Castillo. The only person I see is Murphy and he is still learning the position. Ideally what I would do is let Castillo try to make a comeback while Murphy gets more time in AAA learning 2b. Then trade Castillo while he gets his value up and bring up Murphy to start.